MacG Racing

 

  • Home
  • The Team
  • Media
  • Shop
  • Arrive & Drive
  • Cars & Tech
  • Results
  • Partners

Just Doors UK sponsoring MacG Racing
PTR Exhausts
Braid Wheels
AWS Racewear sponsoring MacG Racing
Quantum Racing Suspension sponsors MacG Racing
Albins Performance Transmissions sponsors MacG Racing
Rotary Revs Logo

 

PAGE - - 1 - - 2 - - 3 - - 4 - - 5- - 6 - - 7 - - 8 - - 9 - - 10 - - 11 - - 12 - - 13 - - 14 - -

Day 11 & 12

The body panels (and fuel tanks) were removed and the interior of all the panels and exterior faces of the tanks were masked up and sprayed black. Surprisingly this deepened the colour of the gelcoat no end, and brightened up what already seemed a very vivid colour! The luggage container covers were fitted to the chassis using the same drill and rivet technique as the rest of the alloy panels, however the frame to go round the entrance to the luggage container was first bonded to the alloy panel using the black adhesive, then this was then bonded to the chassis before riveting commenced. Fitting of the covers was left as late as possible to avoid unnecessary scratches occurring.

After fitting the covers, the sills and tanks (now painted and extra yellow!) were refitted to the chassis. The tanks were once again bolted into place using the studding, however this time the foam wadding was placed in between the tank and the sill. The sill was again secured in place at the rear using an elastic strap. The distances quoted in the build manual were carefully adhered to, and the sill was also clamped into place using the quick release clamps used earlier. Checking that both sills are very secure and not likely to move, the centre section was also lifted into position. The fixing nuts were tightened up on the studding in order to pull the centre section tight against the sills, and the fit of the centre section round the roll hoop and across the front of the car was examined. The lines were all good with no ‘stressed’ parts, so we went about fitting the front and rear clams. It was evident on the sills that a small amount of material had to be removed in order to comfortably fit the coolant pipes which ran from the radiator to the back of the car, so this was marked out for removal later.

The rear clam was fitted to the car first. The rose joints for the hinges were fitted to both the chassis and the clams first, then the clam was lifted into position so it was just  a matter of sliding in the pivot bolt and washers etc to fit the clam so it was supported. The clam was then lowered, and we spent a few minutes adjusting the hinges so that the clam shut neatly onto the body, so that the shut lines were even all the way round. Although the sills were to be removed for one final time before fitting, in theory the position should not really change if we stick to the same measurements, so this gave us a good idea that it was possible with some adjustment to neatly fit the rear clam and get good neat shut lines round all the joins.

The same process was undertaken for the front clam, which seemed to be a bit easier, probably due to the reduced weight of the clam itself. (though neither are heavy in the slightest!) The gas struts were then fitted to the rear clam, which required two holes to be drilled in the clam for fitting the end of the gas struts to, and the front clam support was also bolted into position.

Suddenly it really does start to look like a car!!

<<<BACK NEXT>>>

Just Doors UK sponsoring MacG Racing
PTR Exhausts
Braid Wheels
AWS Racewear sponsoring MacG Racing
Quantum Racing Suspension sponsors MacG Racing
Albins Performance Transmissions sponsors MacG Racing
Rotary Revs Logo

To keep track of all our new product and racing news, subscribe to our mailing list by clicking here

Copyright MacG Racing Ltd. If you have any comments or suggestions, please visit our contacts page